Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Interview: Impressions of Chile

Chilean impressions. Interview of Abby Dedinsky (conducted by the writer of this blog) on her time spent so far in Chile, South America.

Interviewing author (I): Abby, I know that you haven't been in Chile for even a month, but I'm sure you have had many experiences and have already gathered some impressions. Tell me, what was your first impression of Chile when you arrived?

Abby (A): Thank you for this opportunity to share with you about my impressions of Chile! Well, upon arriving at the airport, being picked up by my new Chilean family, and driving to our house, the surroundings were what first struck me. It was raining and the sky was gray (actually the first time it had rained here all winter!), and it was colder than summer back at home. Once on the road, I have to say I was struck by the stark contrast between the high rises in the city central, with the clusters of shacks outside the city, a little village that can hardly be called a village, made up of houses that aren't fit for people. Once we got into the more residential part of Santiago, the houses and buildings were more of a "normal", middle ground, but I have to say the thought still lingers in my mind.

I: Wow. Yeah that is one first impression there. Goodness. I could spend a whole post just talking about that. Another time, I'm sure. Moving on, what is your impression of the transportation in Santiago?

A: So far I have traveled on foot, by car, by metro (subway), by bus, and by taxi. The "taco" (traffic jam) can be a lot when you're in a car, and we have been lost a lot, even when being driven by a Chilean. I really like the metro system though. It is convenient and smooth, and I really wish Milwaukee had one. I have my own "bip" card now too, which is how one pays to travel that way.

I: I understand you travel on foot to school, is that correct?

A: Yes! It is so convenient that we live only 7 houses away from the school. On the end of the block there is also a Schoenstatt shrine. I visit there very often, and feel very spoiled to have one so close.

I: Ah yes, Schoenstatt in Chile. As a member of Schoenstatt in the Milwaukee area visiting Chile, what do you like most of all about the movement here in Chile? What has been your favorite experience?

A: Well I think I could already talk about that for hours. But in short, I really love how the shrine here in Providencia is never empty. I mean, being alone in the shrine is wonderful, but the fact that there is always someone visiting the Blessed Mother here in the city is really beautiful in my opinion. Even though there are half a dozen shrines right here in Santiago, there are always people in and around the shrine here. And I don't mean sisters, for of course there are around 15 or 20 sisters living on the property of the shrine and school, but just people - old and young men and women, couples, teenagers, university students. My favorite experience was probably the girls youth rally day on August 15th [note from author: see "weekend relaxation post"] or the Covenant Day celebration on August 18. The 8 pm Mass held in the chapel of Colegio Mariano was well attended, and afterwards everyone went to the shrine to renew their covenant of love. I thought it was really amusing that they used the front of the shrine as a projection screen. That was a new one for me. Perhaps you can include some pictures of that event?

I: Yes! I will surely do that, thanks for the suggestion, Abby. [For continuity, the pictures have been added here.]


I: Alright, Abby. I understand that you are studying for a semester at Colegio Mariano. What's the one thing that is most different from your high school at home?

A: Tough question, because it is completely different! I think what is most different is that instead of everyone having their own schedule and moving from class to class, the group has almost the same schedule and the teachers for the most part come to them. I find that on the whole, the class is much more unified and works on common projects together, for example, preparations for the week celebrating the school's birthday. It reminds me a lot of my grade school and the community I had at that time with my classmates. 

I: That does sound like it would lend itself to a different dynamic. Now, on to another topic. What about the food? What is most different? What is your favorite food that you've tried?

A: Good question. Well, breakfast is more or less the same as I'm used to. I usually have cereal or yogurt. Lunch is their main meal of the day, which means I always am sent with a thermos full of hot food, usually leftovers from supper. Supper is somewhere between 6 and whenever, depending on the day. The "nana" [note: it is common for chilean households to hire someone to be like a nanny and a maid, as in the case of Estrellita, the "nana" of the Cannistra family.] makes the supper and usually gives me more than I can eat, and as a rule is always trying to get me to eat more. Every single day we have the same conversation, 
"Oh wow, this looks wonderful but I can't eat it all!" 
"Why not? Why can't you eat so much? Do you not like it?"
"I'm just not made to eat that much! It's delicious though, thank you very much."
And yet the next day she still gives me more than I can eat...
The food she cooks is usually beef or chicken, in a soup or with rice or potatoes, and with vegetables. In general they eat a lot of bread. I read somewhere that the only country that consumes more bread than Chile is Germany. Aside from the main meal and supper, other food available includes: cookies, cake, cereal, lunchmeat ham & cheese, fruit or yogurt. Their yogurt has more sugar than dairy in it, I think. So, I am still figuring out what to do with all this sugar and bread. However, the food that Estrellita makes is very good. Oh! And I tried my first empanada on Saturday. That means I've really experienced Chile [at this point Abby laughs]. 

I: Well you won't go hungry, that's for sure. Of course in the US people usually greet each other with a handshake or, for family members or friends, a hug. How is that different in Chile?

A: [Abby laughs.] Here everyone greets each other by touching and kissing their left cheek, with an accompanying hug. Kind of hard to explain. I'm getting used to it, but it sometimes catches me off guard when someone I don't know or a sister does it. But it's like every time you see someone. Every girl in my class goes around to every other girl when she arrives at school every day. And usually when you say "chao", too. 

I: That reminds me! How is it going with all the "Chileanismos"? 

A: Besides the fact that many of the Spanish words I learned are more from Spain than Latin America (7 year old Anto is always correcting me), some of the most used words here in Chile are: "seca" (cool, great, talented, etc.), "bacán" (good or great), "sipo" (Yes with a po on the end. They add po to a bunch of words and I'm not really sure why...). and "¡Qué fome!" (When something is borning or lame).

I: Although I'm sure there are many other customs and experiences you could share, since this post is getting a little long and there aren't many pictures, perhaps I should draw this interview to a close. Thank you so much for this opportunity today, Abby. Take care, be safe, and most of all have fun down in Chile!

A: Thank you so much, author of this blog. I will, you take care of yourself too. 

1 comment:

  1. Cute post, Abs. Glad you're enjoying your time in Chile. Take it all in. These experiences will shape who you become.

    ReplyDelete