Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Why "Magnificat in my soul"?


So, if I made this blog to mainly share about my Chile experiences, why in the world did I choose "Magnificat in my soul" for the title? Well, I can tell you already that it won't only be pictures from Chile, but also probably some of my own random inspirations about life. But let me answer your questions...

Anyone who spends a lot of time with me can tell you: Abby is a Magnificat child. Well, they might not say it that way. Maybe like "Abby is obsessed with the Magnificat" or something. But I prefer the first way of saying it.

The bottom line is: I love the Magnificat. It's my jam. :) (A good chunk of info on it here.) And I'm referring to Mary's song of praise, as recorded in Luke 1:46-55:




"My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant. 
From this day all generations will call me blessed:
For the Almighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his Name.

He has mercy on those who fear him in every generation.
He has shown the strength of this arm,
He has scattered the proud in their conceit.

He has cast down the mighty from their thrones
And has lifted up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.

He has come to the help of his servant Israel
for he remembered his promise of mercy,
the promise he made to our fathers;
to Abraham and to his children forever."

 There are a million translations, but the basic gist is the same: God has looked with favor on the littlest ones. And therefore - let him be praised! I consider myself a little one. Well, I'm trying to get littler, but I'm pretty miserable, so I'm already on my way, thanks be to God. Basically, God is...all-everything. All loving, all merciful, all holy, all forgiving, all awesome...and it literally never ends. And neither should the Magnificat. It's not a one time deal sort of thing. It's meant to live. And that's what is so amazing. That I, that we, can be a living Magnificat. Live our lives in that same spirit, Mary's canticle of praise. It is a song of joy, hope, faith, humility, of praise.

I could go on with this topic for eons. But at least you have a little idea of why I chose Magnificat. The "in my soul" part goes along pretty well with the above paragraph. The soul is the center-most part of our being; who we are, what we do, our very living is rooted in our soul. Not biologically, obviously, but spiritually, emotionally, yeah. So, that is why my blog is called "Magnificat in my soul". (Well, and one of my dearest friends and I wrote a song with that title, and more things will come in the future with that title.) But the inspiration behind it all is basically the above paragraphs. It's the whole living Magnificat idea. That Magnificat is my life-force. Pretty awesome. Pretty hard. I mean, it's a road. The road towards being a living Magnificat is the road to sanctity. And that is the road of adventures. Adventures of a little one.

God bless!
Abby

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see your adventures unfolding and to hear the songs that follow!! we will miss you! ❤️❤️ Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello little one in Chile, glad you and your mother made it safe and sound. Hope you accomplish all you planned this semester in Chile !

    ReplyDelete